Orthodontics is one of many dental specialties. It is a treatment specifically concerned with diagnosing and treating tooth misalignment and irregularity in the jaw area. Initially, orthodontic treatments were geared toward the treatment of teens and pre-teens, but these days around 30 percent of orthodontic patients are adults. Redlands, CA dentist, Dr. Steve Tatevossian, offers orthodontic treatment to patients of King House Dental. There are many advantages to well-aligned teeth, including easier cleaning, better oral hygiene, clearer speech, and a more pleasant smile. Though orthodontic treatment can be effective at any age, the American Dental Association suggests that an orthodontic assessment be performed around the age of seven. The earlier orthodontic treatment begins, the more quickly the problem can be successfully resolved.
Orthodontics is a versatile branch of dentistry that can be used alone, or in combination with maxillofacial or cosmetic dentistry.
Here are some of the common conditions treated with orthodontics:
- Anteroposterior deviations – The discrepancy between a pair of closed jaws is known as an anteroposterior discrepancy or deviation. An example of such a discrepancy would be an overbite (where the upper teeth are further forward than the lower teeth), or an underbite (where the lower teeth are further forward then the upper teeth).
- Overcrowding – Overcrowding is a common orthodontic problem. It occurs when there is an insufficient space for the normal growth and development of adult teeth.
- Aesthetic problems – A beautiful straight smile may be marred by a single misaligned tooth. This tooth can be realigned with ease and accuracy. Alternatively, treatment can also work to reshape and restructure the lips, jaw or the face.
"Great experience with having my visits for my braces. They do a wonderful job everytime. Staff are friendly and welcoming. Makes the visits to the dentist easier."- V.H. / Facebook / Jun 22, 2015
"Just got my braces off and I'm loving the result ! It was a great year , the staff are amazing , and made it such a easy journey! Dr t thanks for a amazing smile !"- J.R. / Facebook / Oct 21, 2016
"Just had my cleaning done and I was impressed yet again. I have very complex orthodontics in my mouth now and was a little apprehensive. Amy and Jenny out my fears at ease and everything went great. No pain and they were super fast. I was seated within 2 minutes of arriving and before I left the dental chair, they had already scheduled my next cleaning (and the rest of my family too)! These guys rock and understand that MY time is important. If you need a quality dentist who respects YOUR schedule, you've got to try this office."- M.C. / Yelp / Jan 07, 2016
"I LOVE King House Dental!! They are a very friendly and caring practice. Dr. T is professional, kind, and very efficient. I didn't have an appointment today but my bracket fell off on my braces. Even though they were very busy and booked solid they told me to come in. I didn't wait long, was seen and all was taken care of. You will not be disappointed by making Dr. T and his wonderful staff your go to dentist."- T.R. / Yelp / Apr 18, 2016
"Dr. T first helped me with my TMJ, and then I transferred all my dental care to him. He's knowledgeable and professional. I trust him with my entire family's dental care. Plus, I'm not exaggerating to say that the TMJ treatment I received changed my life. I used to constantly have headaches. I even had internal bleeding (in my 20s) from taking too much ibuprofen. After treatment and continuing 10 years later, I rarely get headaches. My jaw doesn't hurt after a dinner talking with friends...I actually used to speak less because it hurt. I'm quite literally a different person. Even more important to me is that he pre-treated my little one's hereditary jaw problems with preventative orthodontics to save her from my poor jaw genetics. She has pretty much avoided any TMJ problems due to her preventive treatment at 6 (she's 17 now). Thank you Dr. T and King House Dental."- N.R. / Yelp / Oct 26, 2016
Orthodontics is a technologically advanced field which offers many sophisticated solutions to malocclusions and other cosmetic problems. The orthodontist will generally perform a visual examination, panoramic X-rays and study models (bite impressions) in order to assess the exact nature of the discrepancy.
When a diagnosis has been made, there are a variety of orthodontic treatment options available.
Here is an overview of some of the most common treatments:
- Fixed orthodontic braces - A metal or ceramic dental base is affixed to each tooth, and a dental wire is inserted through each base. The orthodontist is able to gradually train the teeth into proper alignment by regularly adjusting the wire. When the desired results are achieved, the fixed dental braces are completely removed.
- Removable appliances - There are a wide range of removable appliances commonly used in orthodontics, including headgear that correct overbites, Hawley retainers that improve the position of the teeth even as the jawbone reforms, and facemasks which are used to correct an underbite.
- Invisalign - This is a newer, removable type of dental aligner that is completely transparent. Invisalign does not interfere with eating because of its removable nature, and mechanically works in the same way as the traditional metal dental braces. Not all patients are candidates for Invisalign.
Plan Your Procedure
Redlands, CA dentist, Dr. Steve Tatevossian, loves to create straighter, more aesthetically appealing smiles, regardless of your age. During an initial consultation, all of the orthodontic options offered by King House Dental will be discussed. In addition, some patients are candidates for more in-depth cosmetic dental work they may also include teeth whitening, implants, or crowns. There are numerous options to enhance your smile and attain the gorgeous teeth you have always wanted.